• Their stems are usually prickly and their glossy, green leaves have toothed edges. Rose flowers vary in size and shape. They burst with colours ranging from pastel pink, peach, and cream, to vibrant yellow, orange, and red. Many roses are fragrant, and some produce berry-like fruits called hips.
• An ornamental shrub/bush with upright or climbing stems usually prickly. Leaves are alternate, compound, oddly pinnate with stipules adherent to the leaf stalk. Flowers are solitary (single) or in corymbs (cluster).
• It has flavonoids, triterpenes, tannins, phenolic acids, polysaccharides, fatty acids, organic acids, carotenoids and vitamins.
• It also has 2-Phenylethanol, β-ionone, β-damascone, β-damascenone, citronellol, rose oxide, geraniol, and nerol are the most important odorous components of many rose species.
• Fragrance of roses is due to monoterpenes, these chemicals can be found in many odorous plants. Monoterpenes come in different shapes and scents, but all have 10 atoms of the element carbon.
• Rasa- tikta , kashaya, Madhura .
• Guna – laghu , snigdha .
• Virya – sheeta
• Vipaka – Madhura
• Karma- tridoshara